Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Season Wrap-Up

Well, I was tied for first place in the regional series going into the finale - The McGee Lungbuster at my home trails. 8 mile loop with ~780ft. of climbing per lap. This is a bit deceiving as all but about 100ft. are slammed into 3 brutal climbs that all come between miles 3 and 5. This is hands down my favorite trail of the series. Brutal rocky uphill switchbacks, the infamous log bridge, berms aplenty, tight and twisty.

The series is made up of 7 races - 6 count toward your final point total. The guy I was tied with had beat me in soundly in 4 of the first 5 races: first race of the year I had a major mechanical issue, but ran 4 miles back to the staging area to repair it and complete the race - good for 54 points since I didn't DNF (did not finish). Going into the 6th race of the year I was 12 points down and, presumably, all but eliminated from contention. However, in the 6th race, 1st place man had a mechanical and decided to DNF rather than run it out. Major point swing - I earned 56 points that race and he only got 2. 54 point swing right? Not exactly - remember we have one race that doesn't count. This 2 point effort was his 'drop' race and the one race I missed - Attack on Swayback - 0 points - was my drop race. The only egg my competition laid all year? The Attack on Swayback - he earned 44 points. 56-44 = 12 = all square baby! The DNF really hurt him.

I heard through the grapevine that my compo came to try out our trails the weekend before the race was to take place...and broke his steel frame!! Can you say panic time?!

So - going into the finale I had these things going for me (which were nice):
1. Momentum - getting caught is demoralizing
2. He was going to be on a new bike - takes a bit of getting used to
3. These were my trails & I know them very well - no blind turns for me
4. I'm McWeSSon!! Suckas can't see me or be me!

We had a TT (time trial) scheduled for Saturday and I knew my compo would decline to participate thinking that the effort might hurt him the next day...I was right. I, however, ultimately, am just looking to have fun - and what could be more fun than a max effort, lactic acid accumulating 12min and 23sec effort 18 hours before the biggest race of my life?

Following the TT I spotted the comp and had to go check out his new ride, assess his mindset, and mark him with my mojo...

Oh yeah - he sensed it.

Awesome evening ensued - Popi and KK were in town and staying with us, Johnny DiVola crashed as well. The pasta dinner was PERFECT! The bike was running well. I got a decent night's rest. KR and Lolly played it cool but I could tell that they were ready for me to bring it home.
Race day dawned COLD! Got to the venue with a couple hours to spare, found a sunny spot, and chilled for a bit.

Slowly got prepped, did a little warmup with B-Rad A., B-Rad C., DiVola, and Jo-Jo Dancer...feeling good...ish.

9 people showed up for the SS race - excellent - biggest regional field of the year for me. The start...well, at least I was on the singletrack.

Hit the woods about 7th place...genetics...what can you do? Fast twitch muscle fibres for Christmas please.

Johnny Compo was is 5th and I had him marked...as he moved around folks I followed and right about here:
I buried myself to close what had become a 60 second, or so, gap. The remaining 3 miles of the first lap was the TT course from the day before and I let'er rip...closing to within about 1 second as we came out of the woods for the 30mph downhill leading to the start of the 2nd lap.
Now, we had made eye contact no less than 10 times in that last section...he knew I was there...and, yet, he pulled off the trail and flipped his bike upside down.
I did the only gentlemanly thing I could...and attacked like CRAZY!! Now was carrot time!
He was back on pretty quick as I had him at about 15 secs back 1 mile into the second lap. But he wasn't gonna catch me. I nailed all the brutal climbs. Can you say flying? Hell, I even allowed myself some fun...catching air on this super whoop-dee-do:


With about 4 miles to go in the 2nd (and last) lap I bridged up to 2nd place...and he immediately attacked me...no can do for me...couldn't match the effort.

Wound up 3rd place in the race - crazy that cousin Jeff got first...I didn't realize he raced?!

1st overall in the State Championship:

1st in the Region: (does 2nd look a bit dejected? Throw those arms up!)

And, due to a very strong showing by the Mobile Velo squad at the finale, Indian Cycle/Malt Racing lost the overall team comp on the final day. We weren't upset about it...


Next up - the 24 Hours of Clear Springs this weekend - 24 hours, 4 man relay - last year we won and did ~240 miles. This year should be no different.
After that, a long off-season and some quality time with KR who has teeth!! She is growing up FAST! Can't wait for each new day...always brings something new and exciting. She is my BABY GIRL!!

No comments: