Thursday, August 28, 2008

Why I Like Carrots

Not the 'eh - what's up doc?' variety - although thems ain't too shabby - but the dangling in front of you, give you something to chase, metaphorical variety. Do they have Vitamin A?

We all needs carrots. Long term carrots, short term carrots, and orange crunchy ones. I, today, am focusing on very short term carrots.

The carrots that might be in front of me in my next race...

Racing psychology is a very convoluted and difficult aspect of the deal. MTB tends to reward the guys and gals who go off the front in the beginning. There is no 'pack mentality' like in road racing. No draft to benefit those who are patient and choose to conserve energy in the early stages. Lolly and I were watching the women's Olympic MTB race last weekend on-line and within the first 1/2 lap (of 6) I said, "Oh well, the Americans are out of it." Lolly said there was plenty of time left - but MTB just doesn't work that way...the start is 95% of the race. The whole shot is VITAL!
Conserving energy in an MTB race will get your doors blown off! Can you say last place?

The U.S. gals did place a very respectable 7th and 8th but were never in it. Although, losing to Sabine Spitz of Germany is not so hard to take...she's is amazingly talented!

In the lead pack there are carrots and rabbits. The natural tendency is to be a carrot...the guy leading the race, but psychologically it can be very demoralizing to look around and see x number of racers riding your wheel. Especially if you can't ride them off your wheel.

So, in these next few races I want to be a rabbit...a rabbit that can keep up with the carrot, mark him, and pass him near the end of the race when he is psychologically and physically drained and I am only the latter.

Mmmm, carrots!

***********************************************
Hit the road early this morning on the SS (Voodoo Dambala 29er geared at 32x18).



Not an especially good gear for road work but I wanted to simulate some race starts - vital for that whole shot - and what better way to do that than to do it on the bike you will be racing. Rode for just under an hour, mostly in recovery mode (HR Zones 1-2) but added in 5x90 second AT (anaerobic threshold) efforts to simulate race starts. I rolled up to the 'starting' line, unclipped and put my left foot down, counted 3-2-1 and launched into it! Felt pretty good for the first 3 - the last 2 kinda hurt...but fortunately each race only has one start! And I am putting the finishing touches on a pretty intense 4 week Build phase of my training. I should be sore!
Pretty much have just one 'effort' ride left over the next 10 days as I begin to taper off the intensity before the race. I'll be doing a good bit of 'speed' work (high cadence stuff) and form drills with little bursts thrown in to keep the pistons lubed and ready.
YEE-HAW! Come on Oxford!

No comments: