Sunday, August 24, 2008

Tempo Work aka Come'On Fay Give Us A Break...

The day dawned looking like this...



Tropical Storm Fay was forecasted to throw 4-6" of rain our way over the next 48 hrs. Perfect!
True to her billing, I woke up to rain, began laundry and other various chores to rain, ate breakfast with Fay, and greeted Lolly and KR with more rain at ten AM.

Realizing that the nice 3 hour endurance ride I had planned was a...wash (nyuk-nyuk), I suggested that we go for a drive to look at some of the newer subdivisions in Madison. Guess who joined us? Fay.

We drove around for a couple of hours, got some grubbage, then some Joe (smoothie for me) and took it to the house. Gnash and Brooke are not minding Fay so much as they get to be lazy house dogs for the duration...

I however was left with no options...I was going to have to get my workout in on...THE TRAINER! YUCK! A more fitting description of the term 'necessary evil' is unknown in the world of competitive cycling. But I gotta do what I gotta do...

3 hours was out of the question - the trainer is just too mundane...with the fall races only 2 weeks away I know that getting that high end fitness tapped is of the utmost import. So, I settled on 1.5 hours with 2x30 minute tempo sessions: the 1st in Zone 3 HR (~155bpm) and the 2nd in Zone 4 (~165bpm). Not nearly as brutal as I expected it to be...especially after a pretty vigorous MTB ride yesterday morning at about 2 hours time and just below race pace.

Does this bode well for my upcoming race? Man, that would be a fantastic payoff for my structure and self-discipline over the last 3 months.

Well, back to KR!

No comments: