Monday, January 26, 2009

At the Core of it all...

Monday morning - normally a full body strength day for me, but I tweaked my knee doing trail work on Saturday (already much better) and decided to take 'er easy on the legs this AM. Started my workout with a nice 20min. warm up on the trainer (as opposed to my normal jump rope and punching bag routine) and then transitioned into some of the major upper body muscle groups: 3 sets of pull-ups using 3 different grips, offset pushups with a medicine ball, bent over single arm rows and dips. Nice little burn there...makes that bike feel so light on the trail!

Then I headed inside for a core blast. Time was running short so I super setted 10 core moves into one 20min blast furnace session. Oh yeah. It all revolves around the core.

Through the years I have accumulated a vast mental rolodex full of different core exercises but these two websites are a perfect place to refresh one's memory or get some new ideas.

http://www.coreperformance.com/

http://www.usd.edu/track/Bug's%20folder/Core%20Strength%20Training%20Manual-picts_files/Core%20Strength%20Training%20Manual-picts.htm

Main thing is to keep your body guessing when it comes to strength work. My body is very used to the cycling motions so creativity on strength days is essential for me.

Enjoy your workouts!

No comments: